By Kim Lerner
With a busy schedule it can be hard to eat healthy. When on the run you may find yourself eating dinner in your car, snacking on donuts at your desk or skipping breakfast to save a little time. With some planning ahead you can prepare yourself so you will make healthy eating choices. Here are some ideas to help you make time to eat healthy.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. I’ve said it before…breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You will make healthier choices if you have started your day off right. If you know you have a really busy day ahead, a filling breakfast will help fuel your day. It will also keep you from grabbing a donut first thing.
- Have healthy snacks in your car. If you spend a lot of time driving, you know you will be getting hungry while running errands. Have low calorie protein bars, dried fruit and whole grain crackers for a quick snack.
- Stay away from fast food. It can be cheap and filling but is rarely worth the fat and calories. When in a pinch opt for a sub sandwich chain and choose one from the low calorie menu.
- Don’t forget to eat. It’s important to not miss any meals, it can slow your metabolism and lower your ability to make healthy choices. -Find your dinner at the super market. You will have healthier choices than you would at a restaurant. Look for Sushi, wraps, sandwiches (hold the mayo), yogurt, fresh fruit and salads.
- Cook meals on Sunday. Plan ahead for your busy week by making big batches of your favorite healthy meals. Portion them into meal sizes and freeze to have on hand when you don’t have time to cook. If you know you’ll be at the office late, bring one with you.