By Kim Lerner
You try to lead a healthy lifestyle, you workout, you try to pass on dessert, you even eat your vegetables. At work, between deadlines, meetings, and lunch errands, you may find yourself going through the drive through or grabbing that 2pm donut. Commit to your healthy lifestyle during your eight plus hour workday with these 5 easy tips.
1. Eat breakfast. Your mother always told you breakfast is the most important meal of the day - she was right. Studies find that starting your day with a good breakfast will increase your metabolism - setting you up to burn more calories all day. It will also satisfy your appetite and keep you from making poor choices. Without breakfast, you’re not very likely to turn down a bear claw, or cream stick doughnut at that 10:00 meeting.
2. Pack your lunch. If you have a healthy lunch waiting for you, you will have no excuse to snack before your lunch break. Some easy to prepare healthy lunch options are:
- Leftovers from last night’s healthy dinner - just make sure your portion is reasonable
- A turkey sandwich made on whole wheat bread with low fat cheese with some fruit
- Healthy frozen entree that is low in fat, calories and sodium
- Burrito made with chicken breast, beans and veggies and a little cheese
- Hit up your super market salad bar for a healthy protein rich salad
- Tosca Reno's book Clean Eating Recharged has a great section on packing your lunch for work or school.
3. Drink lots of water. Be sure you’re not confusing dehydration for hunger. By drinking eight 8oz glasses of water a day, you will prevent dehydration. Dehydration zaps your energy and can make you feel hungry when you’re not. Keep a reusable water bottle at work, and aim to drink a litter while on the job. You will be amazed at how good you will feel.
4. Get plenty of sleep. Adults need between 7 and 9 hours a night. Without the proper amount of sleep it is much easier to give into tempting treats. When you go for that sugar packed snack you will only be left feeling more tired once the sugar rush has ended.
5. Bring snacks. Even after a healthy breakfast and a substantial lunch you may be hungry by 3. Instead of buying a calorie loaded snack at the vending machine have one of these healthy snacks instead.
- Light string cheese
- Fresh fruit (apples, grapes, oranges and bananas are all easy and convenient)
- Hummus with carrot sticks
- Low-fat yogurt
- Whole grain crackers
- Nuts (be sure to only eat a small handful as they are high in fat and calories)
With just a little willpower and some planning ahead you can maintain your healthy diet while at work. With your healthy living you will have plenty of energy to make it to your Body Revolution workout!