In the last post, The Snowball Effect, we discussed the best way to prepare yourself to complete your goals. Hopefully you made your list, and are tackling the most important changes first. You have a plan in place, and are slowly working on your quest to make yourself everything you know you can be. You want to lose weight, so you are eating breakfast everyday and hitting the gym at least 4 times a week…no? If you made your list ten days ago, now is the perfect time to really reflect on what you have accomplished so far. With a little dose of reality, now is the time to fine tune your goal list.
1) Give yourself an evaluation; are you making an honest effort at changing you bad habits? If not, don’t be hard on yourself, just get started now!
2) Look over your goals. Are there steps missing? Be sure you have all your bases covered, maybe you want to bring your lunch to work 4 times a week, but you’re not making time to go to the store. You want to quit smoking, yet you are still spending time with people that provoke this negative behavior.
3) Ask for help, talk to a friend about how they made positive changes in their life. Tell your trainer about your goals, they will hold you accountable, and help give you the tools you need to make changes.
4) Focus on positive thinking. Just as we said last week, concentrate on one goal at a time. Be proud of yourself every step of the way. You kicked your soda habit? Great, now it’s time to add more vegetables to your diet.
5) Be persistent. Don't let anything get in your way. Remember that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. It is challenging to start new healthy habits, but once you get going it will get much easier.
With a little bit of organization, and some focus you can achieve your goals! Take each day as it comes, if you slip up don’t get frustrated, just move on and start over.